The God That I Know | #MyFridayStory №264

Satria Bagaskara | Pexels

“I’ve been talking to Jesus, all my life.”

~ Jesus He Knows Me — Genesis

If you listen to the lyrics of this song, they reflect the irony — and the tragedy — of being a modern Christian. The song is about the charismatic movement that swept across the USA in the 80s and 90s. I’ve long maintained,

95 per cent of Christians give the other 5 per cent a bad name.

I’m not sure there’s ever been a time when being God-fearing has been “popular”, or if there ever should be. In that statement, you can sense the “them-and-us” that permeates the choice. Because it is a choice. You have a sense there will be two distinct groups — those that “are”, and those that “aren’t”. There is only black or white. On or off. You’re in, or you’re out.

And those that are in will be fewer than those that are out.

I have been talking to Jesus, all my life. For real. There has never been a time in my life I can recall that we haven’t been chatting. I was raised in a staunchly religious family. That statement reflects the irony of being a Christian. Remember when I explained how there’s only “in” or “out”, no “grey”? Saying “staunchly” suggests there are levels of “religiousness”. The dichotomy that exists in navigating life having chosen to serve God is beyond ironic.

He has a wicked sense of humour.

Back to my religious upbringing. My Mother and Father were the most God-fearing people I have known. They raised their four kids steeped in the realness of the choice. At no point was the choice ever in question, we each had an intimate relationship with God. Because my Parents kept us grounded, we approached life with gratitude and humility. Never arrogant or boastful.

Our intimate relationship manifests with love.

The lifelong conversation I have been having with God is a privilege I don’t take for granted. A privilege and a blessing. I realise it is not everyone that has such a relationship with Him and it should be cherished and nurtured. There were times when the monologue was only one of us. But it would always be me that has gone quiet. He was always there, gently talking to me. Never screaming. Never angry. Always with the deepest love and care for me.

The God that I know loves you and cares for the well-being of your soul — not your body. Hardship and suffering are going to be a part of your life. You are not going to escape the human condition. The choice doesn’t free you or enrich you or allow you any gain here on earth. The choice means you must live a life of gratitude and love. Your purpose is to love others — especially those we don’t love. The downtrodden, the underprivileged, the marginalised — even our enemies.

My prayer is for everyone to get to know the God that I know.

Jesus He Knows Me YouTube Video

Have an awesome weekend and please be generous! 😄

As always, thanks for reading 🙏

* Please join the #MyFridayStory Tribe:

LinkedIn Groups

LinkedIn Newsletter

Medium.com

WhatsApp — please send me a Direct Message with your mobile number

--

--

Get the Medium app

A button that says 'Download on the App Store', and if clicked it will lead you to the iOS App store
A button that says 'Get it on, Google Play', and if clicked it will lead you to the Google Play store